Monday, June 22, 2009

Start at the beginning

Let us start at the very beginning. It's a very good place to start, sang the young Julie Andrews in the very famous ' Sound of music' . Sound advice (bad pun) you might say. Sometimes though, it seems to be difficult to determine where the beginning is.

I have always loved animals. My mom says the first time my father ever rapped me on the knuckles was, when at age three, I picked up a dead puppy. ( It was probably in the land that time forgot) I tried hard to have a pet- picked up some live kittens, some rabbits and so on. But as dog lovers will agree, a dog is ...well, a dog!


My first dog was a black lab named Caeser, who taught me a lot before teaching me the final lesson about dealing and coping with the loss of a loved one, succumbing suddenly at the age of four to some congenital heart problem. Ideally, I should dedicate the blog to him. But he also taught me to live in the present. Elsa and Simba are with us now. Their stories are unique, beginning from how they came to be with us, to the present when their behaviour still has the power to entice, amaze,influence, amuse and pull at our heart strings. Dog lovers do not need to be told all this, but I hope I am able to tell their stories, in a way that does them justice. For today I will just leave pictures of them and let imagination do the rest.

Elsa, the Labrador mix. Simba, the German Shepherd.

To new beginnings!



No comments:

Post a Comment